This information is a transcript from the Parke State School Centenary Magazine from 2014 compiled by Pam Mathis, Marg Jarvis and Loretta Bryce.
1913 - The need for a school
The first document request for a school is dated 10th March, 1913. F.W. O'Connor wrote to the Under Secretary, Department of Public Instructions advising that: Provisional committee formed and met Saturday evening 8th instant, asking if department would grant erection of a school...
The school applied for was intended to afford better education facilities for the children of settlers residing along, or near, the main Maryborough and Teddington Waterworks road and near the Tinana Creek.
Mr O'Connor advised that some of the children were walking three to four miles to the present State School at Tinana, and promised 30 pupils if the request for a school was granted.
John Parke offered a five acre site - this covered portions 194 - 202 near the proposed school site. John Parke never lived to see the opening of the tiny Parke State School, first referred to as "Teddington". Tragically, in November 1913, he was killed while transporting a load of cane off his property, "Spring Grove".
A directive from the Department of Public Instructions, dated 24th November 1914, approved the 'name of the State School at Teddington Road, Tinana be changed to Parke'.
The official opening - 24 October 1914
J.D. Story officially opened Parke State School on Saturday afternoon, 24th October 1914. The school building was a rectangular timber room on low stumps. Where the teacher worked, the wall was timber with the remaining walls being canvas blinds, which could be raised or lowered on rollers. The roof was low, made of iron and not lined. It appears the open-air school at Teddington Road was one of the first of these types to be built.
Twenty-one pupils were on roll-call that first day on the 11th November, 1914. Miss Grace Smith was the original teacher of Parke State School.
The need for a larger school becomes urgent
With thirty-two pupils beginning the 1916 school year, the committee decided that it was time for action and requested the school be enlarged.
On the 2nd of April, 1917, the department advised that the new school building was satisfactorily completed and could be occupied. The new school building stood on high blocks and had verandahs on the front and side. The building was made of exceptionally heavy timber. This building still stands in the Parke school grounds today and is used as our Administration block.
1919 - The school bell
The school committee in 1919 saw the need for a bell to call the children into school. The bell had originally been used on a sugar plantation to call the Kanaka labourers in from the cane fields. At the April meeting it was decided to buy the bell from W.Schultz. The bell is still a part of the school playground today.
1958 - Designs for the new school sign and badge
A new school sign was made and this was erected in June, 1958. The new school sign was six foot by three foot. The sign bore the new school colours of blue and gold. The design incorporated in a shield containing sugar cane plants and kangaroos representing the produce and natural fauna of the district.
School sporting houses
Borchardt house (Blue House)
Borchardt was named after Mr Fred Borchardt, the Director of Education for Wide Bay, friend of the school, as well as living next door to the Parke State School grounds.
Kruger house (Yellow House)
Kruger was named after Bert Kruger, past student and friend of the school.